Platelet BioGenesis Partners with National Heart Lung and Blood Institute to Help New Investigators Perfect Their PitchMarch 24, 2017
Cell Culture Process Engineer (MS/PhD level)June 8, 2017
We are looking for a driven independent thinker with a monster work ethic that shares our long‐term vision for a donor‐independent blood system. Initiative and creative problem solving are priorities since you’ll be partnering with us to fundamentally disrupt a firmly established industry. We are in search for an individual who has strong laboratory management and administration skills, along with an interest and passion for scientific research.
Duties and Responsibilities
Because we are a startup, the position calls for duties that are broad and variable, with significant opportunity for advancement.
We expect the role of the manager will be to ensure a safe and efficient laboratory environment. This candidate must take responsibility for the daily operation of the research lab, including equipment, supplies, software, and documentation. Individual’s skills will include, but not be limited to:
- Maintaining and operating the lab’s major equipment. The Laboratory Manager is to act as a technical expert/advisor on all equipment issues. This individual is responsible for training lab members on the correct use of lab equipment, evaluating and recommending new technologies, and assisting the administrative team with equipment budgets and potential equipment purchases. S/he is also responsible for planning, coordinating and directing the operations of all equipment for effective maintenance and repair programs and service contracts.
- S/he will work with CFO and CEO to help define and maintain financial and timeline budgets in accordance to company directives. In addition, s/he will be responsible for coordination of ordering, organizing, and restocking core lab supplies. The job requires communication with representatives of companies marketing laboratory and scientific products and arranging for demos and/or group discounts when necessary.
- Responsible for archiving research data, along with developing a system to access archived reagents for all lab members. The individual will perform reagent preparation and shipping/handling related to incoming and outgoing Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs), and will include quality control measures to ensure the materials into and out of the lab. In addition to cell-lines, s/he will be responsible for helping to maintain and organizing animal colonies in accordance to IACUC and other associated governmental regulatory committees. S/he will also play a central role in distributing other lab maintenance duties to technicians, fellows and/or scientists. Therefore, we will expect the manager to help to develop and to train/onboard new team members.
- S/he will also be expected to help with experiments, data analysis, and presentation of results. This work includes cell culture, microscopy, flow cytometry, basic animal work, and other related techniques.
- Authorized to work in the U.S. – Required.
- Hands‐on cell culture experience – Ideal
- Hands‐on laboratory experience working with animals (mice), blood, and blood products – Ideal
- Hands‐on microscopy, flow cytometry experience – Ideal
- Critical thinker with excellent problem‐solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work well both in a team and independently
- Skilled presenter able to deliver technical summaries of data as well as high level explanations designed to support strategic decisions
- Ability to multi‐task efficiently and work under pressure with precision
- Experience with training laboratory staff at various levels
- Willingness to go above and beyond job requirements when necessary
Please send cover letter and CV/resume to: